What we do
The department’s core objective is to achieve the best health and wellbeing for all Victorians. This is accomplished through planning, policy development, funding and regulation of health service providers and activities which promote and protect Victorians’ health, including:
- health care services provided through the public hospital system, community health services, ambulance services, dental services and public mental health, drug and alcohol services
- residential and community care for older people, support and assistance to enable people to function independently in their own homes, positive ageing programs, healthy and active living and seniors card
- health promotion and protection through emergency management, public health and related preventative services, education and regulation.
The Department of Health's values are central to the way we deal with clients, colleagues and suppliers. Our values are:
- Collaborative relationships
Our relationships are fundamental to our success. Our relationships will be respectful, transparent and collaborative.
- Appropriate and effective governance
Working with our partners at a local level is a critical element of our devolved governance system.
- Responsive leadership
Our leadership is crucial to achieving our priorities and directions.
- Community focus
We work at a population and an individual level to promote and protect health, and have a special responsibility to disadvantaged Victorians.
- Our workforce
We will develop our people and focus on both current and future workforce needs.
- Accountability and effectiveness
We will measure and communicate our contribution and performance to government and the community; our work is guided by evidence, and our resources are integrated and shared where appropriate