Redesigning Hospital Care Program
The Redesigning Hospital Care Program (RHCP) is a four-year statewide initiative that is delivering significant health system improvements through the application of process redesign methodologies in Victorian public hospitals.
The program objectives are to:
- Increase redesign capability and capacity by training staff across the system to lead projects, implement change and train their peers; and
- Measurably improve health delivery processes and outcomes across the system.
These methodologies use a systematic approach to analyse and improve processes surrounding patient care with the aim to reduce non-value adding activity and increase efficiency and quality of care. The approach is also being successfully applied across non-clinical areas of hospitals to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
The program is building health service capability to create, spread and sustain improvements in delivering patient care. It provides a systematic and integrated approach to redesign, assisting health services to tackle local access, efficiency and service quality challenges as well as system-wide priorities.
The program is based on the following principles:
- explicit recognition that sustained improvement requires investment in developing the capability of managers and clinicians to help manage the process of change
- autonomy of health services to choose how best to tackle their redesign priorities within a framework of state-wide support
- creation of a medium-term perspective by ensuring that many of the benefits are planned for some years ahead - as well as realising benefits in the short term
- coordination of redesign work, connecting isolated projects to wider priorities and not reinventing work
- linkage of the program to the existing performance monitoring framework for health services through rigorous tracking and measurement of benefits.
Redesigning Hospital Care Program (RHCP) forum
The RHCP has a dedicated online forum where members can post questions and share with their peers the learnings, tools and techniques relating to the redesign journey. The forum provides access to further information, tools and resources.