Radiation Advisory Committee
The Radiation Advisory Committee was established in 1984 by the Minister for Health under the Health Act 1958 to advise the Minister or the Secretary on any matters relating to the administration of the radiation legislation referred to it by the Minister or the Secretary.
The Radiation Act 2005 came into operation on 1 November 2007 and replaced the radiation safety provisions of the Health Act. The Radiation Act established the new Radiation Advisory Committee.
The function of the Committee is to consider, advise and report to the Minister or the Secretary on any matter relating to the administration of this Act or the regulations referred to it by the Minister or the Secretary, including:
- the promotion of radiation safety procedures and practices;
- recommending the criteria for the licensing of persons to use radiation sources and the qualifications, training or experience required by those persons to do so;
- recommending which radiation sources should be prescribed as prescribed radiation sources;
- radiation safety standards for the testing of prescribed radiation sources by approved testers;
- the nature, extent and frequency of tests to be conducted on prescribed radiation sources and the specification of radiation safety tests;
- codes of practice, standards or guidelines with respect to particular radiation sources, radiation practices or uses.
The Radiation Act also requires that the Committee submit an annual report to the Minister by 1 November each year. The report is required to be tabled in Parliament as soon as practicable after it is received.
The radiation advisory committee annual reports are included in the Publications sections of this website.
Members of the Committee are appointed by the Minister for terms of 3 years. The current term is from 2011 to 2014. The Committee members and their areas of expertise are:
Dr David Bernshaw
Dr Ken Joyner
Dr Roslyn Drummond
Prof Robert Gibson
Dr Graeme O’Keefe
Mr Russell Booth
Dr Russell Horney
Mr Christopher Perry
Dr Joanna Lia Wriedt
Law and epidemiology
Mr Paul Tomlinson
Dr Dean Morris
Mr Paul Marks
Nuclear medicine and medical physics
Dr Ray Budd
Telephone: 1300 767 469