Healthy Together Victoria
Video by Healthy Together Victoria
(An initiative by the Victorian and Australian Government)
Healthy Together Victoria aims to improve people's health where they live, learn, work and play. It focuses on addressing the underlying causes of poor health in children's settings, workplaces and communities by encouraging healthy eating and physical activity, and reducing smoking and harmful alcohol use.
Healthy Together Victoria incorporates policies and strategies to support good health across Victoria, as well as locally-led Healthy Together Communities.
The initiative is jointly funded by the State Government of Victoria and the Australian Government through the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health (NPAPH).
Children and families
Supporting and nurturing children’s learning and development from birth is crucial to long-term health, education, social and economic outcomes. As children and young people develop the knowledge, skills and behaviour for lifelong health and wellbeing, preventive efforts focused in the early years of life are likely to be effective and long-lasting.
The Department of Health and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, in partnership with the Australian government, local governments and communities, are building a dynamic health and wellbeing system to support healthy lifestyles and choices for children and families. This includes a particular focus on creating healthy places where children spend a lot of their time; including early childhood services and schools.
Workplaces and workforces
The benefits of healthy workplaces reach far beyond individual workers, influencing the health of families and communities, and yielding social and economic benefits. A healthy workplace also reduces sick leave and staff turnover and increases productivity and participation.
Through the NPAPH, the Australian Government is delivering national initiatives that complement the work underway in Victoria. These are underpinned by a joint statement by the Australian Government and peak employer representatives and unions demonstrating their commitment to improving the health of the population through workplaces.
The national initiatives include a quality framework to specify standards for workplace programs, the Healthy Workers brings together the latest tools, resources and guidance to support employers promoting healthy workplaces and an awards program
Healthy Together initiatives
A range of initiatives are underway across Victoria, focusing on children, workplaces and workforces, and communities:
- The Healthy Together Achievement Program supports early childhood services, schools and workplaces to create healthier environments.
- The Healthy Together - Healthy Eating Advisory Service for early childhood services, schools, workplaces and hospitals.
- A range of strategies to support families, workplaces and communities to make healthier food choices through the Victorian Healthy Eating Enterprise.
- The Victorian Health Promotion for Children and Young People Policy to guide practice for promoting the physical health and social and emotional development of children and young people.
- The Workplace Health and Wellbeing Partnership to advise and oversee investments in workplace health.
- New information on children’s health via the NPAPH population survey data on issues such as unhealthy weight, physical activity and healthy eating.
- Public education and social marketing strategies.
Healthy Together Victoria also create links to health promotion and prevention services and programs such as Best Start, Maternal and Child Health Service, Primary and Secondary School Nursing, Student Support Service Officers, Premier’s Active Families Challenge, Ride2School, Mental Health Promotion Officers,WorkHealth and Life!
Locally-led Healthy Together Communities are operating in 12 areas across Victoria. In these areas, local governments, in partnership with community health organisations, local stakeholders and communities, are leading comprehensive local efforts to support the development of a local prevention system.
A significant new workforce and extensive capacity building are being provided by the Department of Health to ensure the skills and resources within these areas are strengthened and aligned. Healthy Together Communities aim to make a real impact on the health and wellbeing of local populations.
- Working together towards healthier communities: Joint statement of commitment to prevention
- Healthy Together Communities (FAQs)
Healthy Together Communities are operating across:
- Healthy Together Bendigo
- Healthy Together Cardinia Shire
- Healthy Together Geelong
- Healthy Together Grampians Goldfields - Ararat, Central Goldfields and Pyrenees
- Healthy Together Greater Dandenong
- Healthy Together Hume
- Healthy Together Knox
- Healthy Together Latrobe
- Healthy Together Mildura
- Healthy Together Whittlesea
- Healthy Together Wodonga
- Healthy Together Wyndham
Leadership for prevention
Leadership for systems change in preventive health by Dr Sally Fawkes from La Trobe University was commissioned by the Department of Health and managed by the Centre of Excellence in Intervention and Prevention Science. It provides the foundations for developing leadership to support Victoria’s prevention system.
- Leadership for systems change in preventive health: Review of the literature and current activity
- Leadership for systems change to strengthen preventive health: summary
- Leadership for systems change to strengthen preventive health: poster
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 12: June 2014
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 11: December 2013
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 10: August 2013
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 9: July 2013
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 8: May 2013
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 7: March 2013
- Healthy Together Newsletter Issue 6: December 2012