Osteoarthritis (OA) Hip & Knee Service
The OA Hip and Knee Service (OAHKS) aims to better coordinate the management of patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis and prioritise patients on specialist clinic and elective surgery waiting lists according to clinical need.
This subsite provides information to health services, referring health providers and consumers.
The Osteoarthritis (OA) Hip and Knee Service aims to improve management of people with OA of the hip or knee.Through system and workforce change a range of benefits have been achieved, including:
- more appropriate use of limited specialist orthopaedic services, including deferral of patients not requiring surgery to appropriate conservative management
- early comprehensive assessment resulting in fast-tracking to surgical assessment as appropriate and/or early referral for conservative management
- active management of the elective surgery waiting list, including prioritisation to match patient need, and
- improved patient satisfaction.
Features of the OA Hip & Knee Service
- early and comprehensive assessment
- multidisciplinary team engagement
- conservative management
- monitoring, review and reporting
- equitable and appropriate prioritisation for surgery.
Use the menu at left to find more information about the service and related information and services.