Robinvale District Health Services staff with ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems certificates.
Robinvale acts on greenhouse gases
Robinvale District Health Services has gained international recognition for its efforts to reduce the greenhouse gases – black balloons – it produces on a daily basis.
A small rural health service, RDHS has expressed pride in receiving ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems (EMS) certification.
An EMS certificate provides a structured approach to planning and implementing environment protection measures and ISO 14001 is the standard for EMS.
Initiatives that led to RDHS certification include:
• Solar hot water systems;
• Energy efficient globes;
• A reticulated water system for hospital heating;
• Ozone water treatment in the laundry to eliminate the need for hot water and monitoring and control of chemicals;
• Lawn area downsized to reduce watering usage;
• Gardens mulched and programmable, controlled dripper system installed;
• Waste cardboard and paper is separated and recycled;
• Steam cleaners to significantly reduce harsh chemicals and water;
• Additional native trees and shrubs;
• Refurbishment of kitchen to reduce waste.
RDHS encourages staff, patients and the community to make suggestions about reducing greenhouse gases.