textual image stating 'Department of Health, Victoria, Australia'

Pharmacotherapy (Opioid Replacement Therapy)

Pharmacotherapy policy

Clinical guidelines

Pharmacotherapy resources

Addition information on pharmacotherapy treatment can be found in the Pharmacotherapy section of the Department of Health webpage "Publications: Alcohol and other drugs services in Victoria". Useful patient information leaflets and booklets on pharmacotherapy treatment are available on this page.

Pharmacotherapy newsletter

This newsletter is for doctors and pharmacists supporting the pharmacotherapy program in Victoria. You’ll find a range of articles related to prescribing and dispensing methadone and buprenorphine. The newsletter is produced by the Department of Health Harm Reduction and Pharmacotherapy Services.


Medical practitioners, nurse practitioners and community pharmacies may use the following forms to apply for approval to become a pharmacotherapy prescriber or pharmacotherapy supplier, respectively.

Pharmacotherapy suppliers may use the following form to self-assess compliance with key requirements for the supply of opioid replacement therapy.

Approved medical practitioners or nurse practitioners may use the following forms to apply for a permit to treat an opioid dependent person with methadone or buprenorphine, notify the Department of Health of a patient's drug dependence, notify the department of methadone take away doses, and to notify the department of the termination of a patient's participation in the methadone or buprenorphine program.

Pharmacists may use the attached pharmacotherapy dispensing support program tax invoice to claim payments for clients who are less than 19 years of age or who have an existing Juvenile Justice order. If the Drugs and Poisons Regulation has not notified you that the client is eligible for payment at your pharmacy via a letter then the prescribing doctor may need to fax a statement notifying a change of pharmacy from a particular date on Fax number 1300 360 830.

Information on Schedule 8 permit and notification requirements