Dementia framework for Victoria
Page content: Strategies | Download documents
The directions paper Pathways to the future, 2006 and beyond - dementia framework for Victoria, or Pathways, was launched in April 2006, together with the first plan to accompany the framework - Dementia Framework for Victoria Implementation Plan 2006-08.
Pathways focused on flexible, individualised and person centred care, using the following pathway approach to dementia care:
- Healthy and active living, which may assist in preventing or reducing the risk of dementia
- Early stages on the dementia pathway
- Middle stages on the dementia pathway
- Late stages on the dementia pathway.
Given Victoria's achievements on dementia care, changing demographics, and opportunities for action, Pathways nominated strategies considered of most importance for each stage on the dementia pathway. Of the nominated strategies, the Dementia framework for Victoria implementation plan 2006-08 highlighted those considered to be priorities for the next few years. The strategies were grouped into the following key areas for action:
- Promoting positive ageing and social connectedness
- Support for people with dementia and their unpaid carers
- Life planning
- Respite and residential accommodation
- Education and information for the public
- Transitions from living at home to residential aged care
- Service development and enhancement
- Meeting specific needs.
An implementation report of the dementia framework is now available. The Dementia framework for Victoria 2006-10 Implementation report identifies achievements of government, government funded and non-government organisations, from promoting healthy and active living and social engagement, to meeting individuals’ diverse needs. The report includes a sample of success stories in dementia friendly practice.
Dementia framework for Victoria 2006-10 - Implementation report (342kb, pdf)
Pathways to the future, 2006 and beyond - dementia framework for Victoria (408kb, pdf)
to the future, 2006 and beyond - dementia framework for Victoria implementation
plan 2006-08 (271kb, pdf)
Top of page